Monday 4 July 2016

Wimbledon 2016: Serena Williams reached 300th match milestone

London: On Sunday, World No. 1 Serena Williams played the 300th match of Grand Slam and won it defeating Germany’s Annika Beck with a fourth round of 6-3,6-0. The 34-year-old tennis star has now exceeded Chris Evert at 299, but is behind Martina Navratilova, who played 306 Wimbledon matches and is an all time record holder.


Reports are that Serena came to know about the records from the reports interviewing her after she won the match. She was bewildered and said: “Oh gosh really? I had no idea.”
Williams has now won 82 matches at Wimbledon and remains on course to equal Steffi Graf’s Open era record of 22 Grand Slam titles with her seventh Wimbledon crown, sources said. She is 82-10 at Wimbledon now. The famous tennis sensation also has 755-123 overall in her career. Serena will contest Svetlana Kuznetsova on Monday; Kuznetsova is a two-time Grand Slam winner.
Apart from Serena’s career-record, another history was made by allowing matches to be played on Middle Sunday. It is the first time since 2004 at Wimbledon. Following her win and record marked on Sunday, Serena asserted: “I thought it was good. I still want to get out to a little bit of a faster start but I was really focused and calm. Obviously I love having that Sunday off but I’m a little behind in my matches so I guess I had to play an extra day.”



No comments:

Post a Comment